Less than a month to go – 18 miles

7/29/2014

chuck at waterfallI’ve been back in the United States less than a week. My sleeping schedule has been topsy turvy and I lay awake in the AM hours between two to five. I believe exercise helps with jet lag but I think the excitement of the impending journey keeps my mind turning. We try to prepare as much as possible but it seems as though there are always loose ends. The new set of books and stickers are behind schedule but luckily we gave ourselves plenty of slack in anticipation of last minute problems. The truth is, there are always last minute problems. Just like with running, all there is to do is push forward. But unlike running there are others out there who can assist you when problems arise.

ambushed by kidsMost people are shocked when they hear that I don’t have my shoe sponsor in place...

Read More

Training in Taipei 13 miles

7/19/2014

Gondola RideIt is very important to be adaptable. I’ve always¬†thought that being fluid in life would open doors to friendship, adventure, and opportunity.¬† Over the past two weeks I spent my time living and training in Taipei, Taiwan. I have deep roots in the country and without a doubt it has been a rich experience.

At SparkA long time has passed since I’ve trained in a tropical climate. Without a doubt is has been challenging. The humidity had me breathing as if I were running in the mountains at altitude. In fact there were days where I would have preferred the altitude training. The heat was a constant factor as well. But I had to remind myself that these were the original conditions under which I began my journey. These were the conditions that helped me build endurance and stamina...

Read More

Nutrition is 80% – 21 miles

6/4/2014

Dennis, Drew and JimWhen we look at pictures of well sculpted bodies or when we watch elite athletes we are seeing the byproducts of a strict exercise regimen and proper nutrition. Many of us watch in awe. There is no reason to be in awe though. You can have the same results with patience and dedication.

There are athletes who forgo the nutrition and rely solely on their god given talent. That can take a person far but it will never take the person to the pinnacle. Excellence is a combination of talent, determination, hard work, and focus. These attributes contribute 20% to success. The other 80% comes in the form of nutrition. Nutrition seems like it would be the easiest component to control. But, a bite of cake can look deceptively innocent...

Read More